I publish on the following topics: Human-Centred Security, Security Management, Privacy, Resilience, IoT, Electronic Voting, Authentication, Security Behaviour, Knowledge Visualization, Email, Behavioural Security and then a variety of other topics related to HCI and Security.
Winner of Outstanding Paper of 2014 Award
Recent PapersKaren Renaud. Clinical and Information Governance Proposes. Human Fallibility Disposes. International Journal of Clinical Governance. Vol. 19 Iss: 2, pp.94 - 109. Emerald. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=17110967&show=abstract.
Winner of Outstanding Paper of 2014 Award
- Karen Renaud, Kenneth Scott-Browne, Andrea Szymkowiak. Designing Authentication with Seniors in Mind. 20th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobHCI) Workshop on Mobile Privacy and Security for an Ageing Population. 3-6 September 2018.
- Melanie Volkamer, Andreas Gutmann, Karen Renaud, Paul Gerber, Peter Mayer. A Cross-Country Field Observation Study of Real World PIN Usage at ATMs and in Various Electronic Payment Scenarios. Towards Understanding Why People Do, or Do Not, Shield PIN Entry. USENIX Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS). August~12-14. 2018. Baltimore, USA.
- Karen Renaud and Verena Zimmermann. Ethical Guidelines for Nudging in Information Security & Privacy. International Journal of Human Computer Studies. To Appear. 2018
- Melanie Volkamer, Karen Renaud, Benjamin Maximilian Reinheimer, Philipp Rack, Marco Ghiglieri, Peter Mayer, Alexandra Kunz, Nina Gerber Phishing Detection: Developing and Evaluating a Five Minutes Security Awareness Video. TrustBus. 15th International Conference on TRUST, PRIVACY AND SECURITY IN DIGITAL BUSINESS. Regensburg, Germany. 5-6 September 2018
- Gregory Bott and Karen Renaud. Are 21st-Century Citizens Grieving for their Loss of Privacy? 2018 Dewald Roode Workshop IFIP WG8.11/WG11.13. Cape Town. June 14-15, 2018.
- Sanjay Goel, Merrill Warkentin, Kevin Williams, Karen Renaud. ARE WE PREDISPOSED TO BEHAVE SECURELY? INFLUENCE OF RISK DISPOSITION ON INDIVIDUAL SECURITY BEHAVIOURS. ECIS 2018. June 23rd – 28th. Portsmouth, UK
- Karen Renaud and Lynsay Shepherd. How to Make Privacy Policies both GDPR-Compliant and Usable. Cyber SA 2018 General Cybersecurity Conference June 11 - 12. Glasgow, United Kingdom
- Lynsay Shepherd & Karen Renaud. How to Design Browser Security and Privacy Alerts. AISB Workshop, Liverpool, April 2018.
- Keshav Kapoor, Karen Renaud & Jacqueline Archibald. Preparing for GDPR: Helping EU SMEs to Manage Data Breaches. AISB Workshop, Liverpool, April 2018.
- Jurlind Budurushi, Stephan Neumann, Karen Renaud, Melanie Volkamer. Introduction to special issue on e-voting. Journal of Information Security and Applications. Volume 38, February 2018, Pages 122-123 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214212617306683
- Karen Renaud, Verena Zimmerman. Nudging Folks Towards Stronger Password Choices: Providing Certainty is the Key. Behavioural Public Policy. February 2018 p1-31.
- Karola Marky, Oksana Kulyk, Karen Renaud, Melanie Volkamer. What Did I Really Vote For? On the Usability of Verifiable Electronic Voting Schemes. CHI 2018. Montreal, Canada April 21--26, 2018
- Karen Renaud and Verena Zimmerman. Guidelines For Ethical Nudging In Password Authentication Derived From An Enriched Nudge Trial. Special Issue of SAIEE African Research Journal. p101-117. 2018
- Ian Ferguson, Karen Renaud, A.D. Irons. Dark Clouds on the Horizon. The Challenge of Cloud Forensics. CLOUD COMPUTING. February 18, 2018 to February 22, 2018 - Barcelona, Spain Best Paper Award
- Anthony Craig, Brandon Valeriano, Karen Renaud. Measuring Technological Capability in the International System. ISA Annual Convention, San Francisco, 2018. http://www.isanet.org/Conferences/San-Francisco-2018
- Karen Renaud & Judy van Biljon. Demarcating Mobile Phone Interface Design Guidelines to Expedite Selection. South African Computing Journal. Volume 29, issue 3. December 2017.
- Karen Renaud \& Gareth Renaud. To Phish or not to Phish. Network Security. October 2017
- Karen Renaud, Verena Zimmerman, Joseph Maguire, Steve Draper. Lessons learned from evaluating eight password nudges in the Wild. LASER Workshop. Arlington. 18-19 October. 2017
- Karen Renaud & Merrill Warkentin. Risk Homeostasis in Information Security: Challenges in Confirming Existence and Verifying Impact. NSPW, Oct 2017, San Francisco, USA
- Karen Renaud & Judy van Biljon. Charting the Path towards Effective Knowledge Visualisations. SAICSIT 2017. Bloemfontein, South Africa. 26-28 September.
- Karen Renaud & Verena Zimmerman. Enriched Nudges Lead to Stronger Password Replacements ... but Implement Mindfully. ISSA 2017. Johannesburg, South Africa. 9-10 August.
- Karen Renaud & Stephen Flowerday. Contemplating human-centred security & privacy research: Suggesting future directions. Journal of Information Security and Applications. Volumes 34, Part 1, June 2017 Pages 76-81. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/22142126/34/part/P1?sdc=1
- Judy van Biljon & Karen Renaud. Harnessing both Information and Knowledge Visualisation to Represent a Community of Practice: Depicting the ICT4D Researcher Community in South Africa. African Conference on Information Systems and Technology (ACIST). July, Cape Town
- Karen Renaud. It Makes you Wanna Cry. Network Security. July 2017. p20
- Karen Renaud. Facts do not change minds. Network Security, April (p 20)
- Karen Renaud, Merrill Warkentin. Using Intervention Mapping to Breach the Cyber-Defense Deficit. 12th Annual Symposium on Information Assurance (ASIA '17) June 7-8, 2017 at Empire State Plaza in Albany, NY
- Noura Aleisa, Karen Renaud. Yes, I know this IoT device might invade my Privacy, but I love it anyway. A Study of Saudi Arabian Perceptions. 2nd Intl Conference on Internet of Things. Porto, Portugal. 24-26 April
- Karen Renaud. Webcam covering phenomenon. Network Security, January. (p.20) 2017
- M Volkamer, K Renaud, B Reinheimer, A Kunz. User Experiences of TORPEDO: TOoltip-poweRed Phishing Email DetectiOn. Computers & Security, Volume 71, November 2017, Pages 100-113
- Marco Ghiglieri, Melanie Volkamer, Karen Renaud. Exploring Consumers’ Attitudes of Smart TV Related Privacy Risks. HCII Vancouver. 2017. LNCS p656-674
- Paul Gerber, Melanie Volkamer, Karen Renaud. The Simpler, the Better? Presenting the COPING Android Permission-Granting Interface for Better Privacy-related Decisions. Journal of Information Security and Applications 34 (2017): 8-26.
- Noura Aleisa & Karen Renaud. Privacy of the Internet of Things: A Systematic Literature Review. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences HICSS-50: January 4-7, 2017 | Hilton Waikoloa Village
- C Kyfonidis, K Renaud. A Mobile Interface for the Older User. BCS Health Informatics Conference 2016. October. Glasgow, UK.
- Karen Renaud. No, users are not irrational. Network Security. The Firewall Column. Elsevier. November 2016 (p. 20)
- Huda Al Shuaily, Karen Renaud. A Framework for SQL Learning: Linking Learning Taxonomy, Cognitive Model and Cross Cutting Factors. 18th International Conference on Higher Education Teaching and Learning Dubai, UAE September 21 - 22, 2016. Best Paper Award. https://www.waset.org/abstracts/53944
- Judy van Biljon & Karen Renaud. Validating Mobile Phone Design Guidelines. Focusing on the Elderly in a Developing Country. 2016 Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists. 26-28 September. Johannesburg
- Sanjay Goel, Merrill Warkentin, Kevin Williams, Karen Renaud. Does Risk Disposition Play a Role in Influencing Decisions to Behave SECUREly? Dewald Roode Workshop. University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. October 7-8. http://ifip.byu.edu/ifip2016.html
- Karen Renaud. SME Cyber Security. 2016. (RAE Funded Report) (Click to Access)
- Karen Renaud. How smaller businesses struggle with security advice. Computer Fraud and Security. August 2016
- Karen Renaud. SME Survey 2015-16. Information Security Perceptions & Resilience. 2016.(RAE Funded Report) (Click to Access)
- A Aßmuth, P Cockshott J Kipke, K Renaud, L Mackenzie, W Vanmderbauwhede, M Söllner, T Fischer, G Weir. Improving Resilience by Deploying Permuted Code onto Physically Unclonable Unique Processors. Cybersecurity and Cyberforensics Conference, Jordan August 2-4
- Karen Renaud & George Weir. Cybersecurity and the Unbearability of Uncertainty. Cybersecurity and Cyberforensics Conference, Jordan August 2-4
- Karen Renaud & Judy van Biljon. The Role of Knowledge Visualisation in Supporting Postgraduate Dissertation Assessment. BJET. online : 26 JUL 2016, DOI: 10.1111/bjet.12494 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7mcF2ZBNT8
- Nora Alkaldi, Karen Renaud. Why Do People Adopt, or Reject, Smartphone Password Managers? EuroUSEC July 2016
- A Gutmann, K Renaud, M Volkamer. Memorable And Secure: How Do You Choose Your PIN? HAISA. Frankfurt 19-21 July.
- N Alkaldi & K Renaud. Why do People Adopt or Reject Smartphone Security Tools? HAISA. Frankfurt 19-21 July.
- E Alkhamis & Karen Renaud. The Design and Evaluation of an Interactive Social Engineering Training Programme. HAISA. Frankfurt 19-21 July.
- Blignaut, R.J., Venter, I.M. & Renaud, K. Granny gets smarter but junior hardly notices. The Journal of Community Informatics, accepted for publication May 2016. Article ID: 1161.
- J Budurushi, K Renaud, M Volkamer, M Woide. An Investigation into the Usability of Electronic Voting Systems for Complex Elections. In Paul J. Gibson, Robert Krimmer, Vanessa Teague and Julia Pomares, editors, Annals of Telecommunications. Vol. 71, number 7-8
- M Volkamer, K Renaud, B Reinheimer. TORPEDO: TOoltip-poweRed Phishing Email DetectiOn. IFIPSec 2016. May 30th till June 1st, 2016, Ghent, Belgium
- K Renaud, I Venter, R Blignaut. 'Smartphone Owners Need Security Advice. How Can We Ensure They Get It? Conf-IRM 2016. Cape Town May
- Oksana Kulyk, Paul Gerber, Michael El Hanafi, Benjamin Reinheimer, Karen Renaud and Melanie Volkamer. Encouraging Privacy-Aware Smartphone App Installation: Finding out what the Technically-Adept Do. USEC 2016
- Paul Cockshott, Karen Renaud. Humans Robots and Values. Technology in Society. Volume 45, May 2016, Pages 19-28
- Andreas Gutmann, Karen Renaud, Joseph Maguire, Melanie Volkamer, Kanta Matsuura, Jorn Muller-Quade. ZeTA -- Zero-Trust Authentication: Relying on Innate Human Ability, not Technology. Euro S&P. March 21-24, Saarbrücken, GERMANY. 2016
- K Renaud, S Flowerday, R English, M Volkamer. Why don't UK citizens protest against Privacy-Invading Dragnet Surveillance? Information and Computer Security. Vol. 24 Issue: 4, pp.400-415, https://doi.org/10.1108/ICS-06-2015-0024
- M Volkamer, K Renaud, P Gerber. Spot the Phish by Checking the Pruned URL. Information and Computer Security. Volume: 24 Issue: 4, 2016
- Marian Carcary, Karen Renaud, Stephen McLaughlin, Connor O'Brien. A Capability Maturity Framework for Information Security Governance and Management IT Professional. T Professional 18.2 (2016): 22-30.
- Tsvetelina Valcheva, Karen Renaud, Paul Cockshott. A Medium-Scale Trial of Handivote. International Journal of Electronic Governance. Vol. 8, No.2 pp. 102 - 118
- A Gutmann, K Renaud, M Volkamer. Nudging Bank Account Holders Towards More Secure PIN Management. Journal of Internet Technology and Secured Transaction. Volume 4. http://infonomics-society.ie/jitst/published-papers/
- J van Biljon & K Renaud. Postgraduate Dissertation Assessment: Exploring Extant Use and Potential Efficacy of Visualisations African Journal of Information and Communication. number 15, p25-37
- T K Ckiew & K Renaud. Estimating Web Page Response Time Based on Server Access Log. MySec 2015. 9th Malaysian Software Engineering Conference. http://mysec2015.upm.edu.my/
- K Renaud, S Flowerday, L ben Othmane, M Volkamer. 'I am because we are': Developing and Nurturning an African Digital Security Culture. ACCC 2015. Port Elizabeth. South Africa
- IM Venter, RJ Blignaut, KV Renaud Blinkered Views of Out-Group Mobile Phone Usage: Moving Towards Less Stereotyping of "Others". SAICSIT 2015. Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Andrew Greig, Karen Renaud & Stephen Flowerday. An Ethnographic Study to Assess the Enactment of Information Security Culture in a Retail Store. WorldCIS 2015. Dublin, Ireland. 19-21 October
- Karen Renaud & Melanie Volkamer. Exploring Mental Models Underlying PIN Management Strategies. WorldCIS 2015. Dublin, Ireland. 19-21 October
- Okuku, A., Renaud, K., & Valeriano, B. Cybersecurity Strategy's Role In Raising Kenyan Awareness of Mobile Security Threats. Information & Security: An International Journal. 2015
- I Venter, R de la Harpe, S R Ponelis. K Renaud. Deploying Design Science Research in Graduate Computing Studies in South Africa. 21st Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2015) Aug 13-15. Puerto Rico.
- Craig Macdonald and Karen Renaud. Experiences Implementing SQL Design Patterns in a First Year Computing Science Degree Database Course. TLAD 2015 Birmingham City University on the 9th July 2015
- Gerber, Paul, Melanie Volkamer, and Karen Renaud. "Usability versus privacy instead of usable privacy: Google's balancing act between usability and privacy." ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society 45.1 (2015): 16-21.
- Judy van Biljon and Karen Renaud. Do Visualizations Ease Dissertation Assessment? SACLA 2015. Johannesburg. 1-3 July.
- Judy Van Biljon and Karen Renaud. Knowledge visualisation as communication and knowledge transfer mechanism: guidelines for mobile learning. mLearn 2015. 17 - 25 October 2015.
- Marcia Gibson, Karen Renaud, Marc Conrad, Carsten Maple. Play that funky password! Recent advances in authentication with music. Handbook of Research on Emerging Developments in Data Privacy. 2015 .
- Melanie Volkamer, Karen Renaud, Oksana Kulyk. A Socio-Technical Investigation into Smartphone Security 11th International Workshop on Security and Trust Management (STM 2015) Workshop at ESORICS 2015 20th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security. Vienna, Austria. 21-25 September. LNCS
- Karen Renaud, Andrew Hoskins, Rossouw von Solms. Biometric Identification Are We Ethically Ready? ISSA 2015. Johannesburg, South Africa. 12-13 August. IEEE.
- Joseph Maguire & Karen Renaud. Alternative Authentication in the Wild. STAST (5th Workshop on Socio-Technical Aspects in Security and Trust). Co-Located with 28th IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF) Verona, Italy. July 2015.
- Melanie Volkamer, Karen Renaud, Kristoffer Braun, Gamze Canova and Benjamin Reinheimer. Design and Field Evaluation of PassSec: Raising and Sustaining Web Surfer Risk Awareness. TRUST 2015. 24-26 August. Heraklion, Greece. LNCS.
- Karen Renaud & Joseph Maguire. Regulating Access to Adult Content (with Privacy Preservation). CHI 2015. Seoul. April 2015. ACM. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2702456
- Renaud, K., Maguire, J., van Niekerk, J., & Kennes, D. (2014). Contemplating Skill-Based Authentication. Africa Research Journal, 105(2), 48-60.
- McBryan, T., Renaud, K., & Siebert, J. P. (2014). An Investigation into the use of Images as Password Cues. arXiv preprint arXiv:1407.8004.
- M. Venter, I., J. Blignaut, R., & Renaud, K. (2014). Uniformity in the midst of diversity. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, 12(4), 550-562.
- Marsh, S., Dwyer, N., Basu, A., Storer, T., Renaud, K., El-Khatib, K., ... & Bicakci, M. V. (2014). Foreground Trust as a Security Paradigm: Turning Users into Strong Links. Information Security in Diverse Computing Environments, 8.
- Renkema-Padmos, A., Volkamer, M., & Renaud, K. (2014, April). Building castles in quicksand: blueprint for a crowdsourced study. In CHI'14 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 643-652). ACM.
- Ying He, Chris Johnson, Karen Renaud. An empirical study on the use of the Generic Security Template for structuring the lessons from information security incidents. 6th International Conference of Computer Science and Information Technology. 26-27 March. 2014. Amman, Jordan.
- Stephan Neumann, M. Maina Olembo, Karen Renaud, and Melanie Volkamer Helios Verification: To Alleviate, or to Nominate: Is That The Question, Or Shall We Have Both? 3rd International Conference on Electronic Government and the Information Systems Perspective EGOVIS 2014. Munich, Germany September 1 - 5, 2014
- Judy van Biljon, Karen Renaud, Tobie van Dyk. Accessibility Challenges Experienced by South Africa's Older Mobile Phone Users. Journal of Community Informatics. Southern African Special Issue. vol 9, number 4. 2014.
- M. Olembo, K. Renaud, S. Bartsch, M. Volkamer. Voter, What Message Will Motivate You To Verify Your Vote? USEC 2014 Workshop on Usable Security 23rd February 2014 http://www.usecap.org/usec14.html
- Sarah Birch, William Cockshott, Karen Renaud. Putting Electronic Voting under the Microscope. Political Quarterly. 85 (2) April-June 2014, Pages: 187.194.
- Jurlind Budurushi, Karen Renaud, Melanie Volkamer and Marcel Woide. Implementation and Evaluation of the EasyVote Tallying Component and Ballot. EVote 2014. Lochau/Bregenz, Austria. 28 to 31 October
- Karen Renaud, Wendy Goucher. The Curious Incidence of Security Breaches by Knowledgeable Employees & the Pivotal Role of Security Culture HCI International. 2014. 22 - 27 June 2014, Creta Maris, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
- Karen Renaud, Rosanne English, Thomas Wynne, Florian Weber. You have Three Tries to Lockout. Why Three? HAISA 2014. Plymouth. July.
- Heather Crawford & Karen Renaud. Understanding User Perceptions of Transparent Authentication on a Mobile Device. Journal of Trust Management. 1.1 (2014): 7
- Melanie Volkamer, Karen Renaud. Mental Models - General Introduction and Review of Their Application to Human-Centred Security. Number Theory and Cryptography. Ed (M Fischlin and S Katzenbeisser) Lecture Notes in Computer Science number 8260. p255-280. Papers in Honor of Johannes Buchmann on the Occasion of his 60th Birthday. 2014
- Karen Renaud, Melanie Volkamer, Arne Renkema-Padmos. Why Doesn’t Jane Protect Her Privacy? PETS 2014. The 14th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium July 16–18, 2014 Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Arne Renkema-Padmos, Jerome Baum, Karen Renaud, Melanie Volkamer. Shake Hands to Bedevil: Securing Email with Wearable Technology. HAISA 2014. Plymouth. July. 8-10 July
- Karen Renaud, Joe Maguire, Johan van Niekerk, Demetris Kennes. CONTEMPLATING SKILL-BASED AUTHENTICATION. SAIEE Africa Research Journal Vol 105 Number 2.
- Melanie Volkamer, Karen Renaud, Joe Maguire. ACCESS: Describing and Contrasting Authentication Mechanisms HCI International. 2014. 22 - 27 June 2014, Creta Maris, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
- Matt Davidson, Karen Renaud, Shujun Li. jCaptcha: Accessible Human Validation. ICCHP. http://registration.icchp.org/Programme/ShowAbstract?submission=353 14th International Conference on Computers Helping People with Special Needs July 09-11, 2014; Pre-Conference July 07-08, 2014 University Paris 8 Vincennes-Saint-Denis; 2, Rue de la Liberte 93200 Saint-Denis; France
- Rob Jenkins, Jane McLachlan, Karen Renaud. Facelock: Familiarity-based graphical authentication. PeerJ. 2:e444 https://peerj.com/articles/444/
- Karen Renaud. Clinical and Information Governance Proposes. Human Fallibility Disposes.
International Journal of Clinical Governance. Vol. 19 Iss: 2, pp.94 - 109. Emerald.
Winner of Outstanding Paper of 2014 Award
- A Killick, C Brown, K Renaud. To Reduce E-mail, Start at the Top. Harvard Business Review. September
- Gareth Renaud and Karen Renaud. Computing Science in the Classroom: Experiences of a STEM Ambassador. Italics, Magazine of the Higher Education Academy. 12(1), 3-13. DOI: 10.11120/ital.2013.00001
- I Venter, R Blignaut, K Renaud. Bridge over the computer science gap. 10th IFIP World Conference on Computers in Education WCCE 2013 Torun, 2-5 July 2013
- I Venter, R Blignaut, K Renaud. Reaching out to Mobile Phone Rookies in Two Countries. 10th IFIP World Conference on Computers in Education WCCE 2013 Torun, 2-5 July 2013
- Karen Renaud. Introducing Computing Students to Scientific Experimentation. ITiCSE 2013, the 18th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education. The University of Kent at Canterbury, 1-3 July 2013
- Karen Renaud and Quintin Cutts. Teaching Human-Centred Security Using Non-Traditional Techniques. Transactions on Computing Education. Volume 13 Issue 3, August 2013 Article No. 11
- T. Storer, S. Marsh, S. Noel, B. Esfandiari, K. El-Khatib, P. Briggs, K. Renaud and M. Vefa-Bicakci. Encouraging Second Thoughts: Obstructive User Interfaces for Raising Security Awareness 11th Annual Conference in Privacy Security and Trust. PST 2013. Tarragona, Catalonia.
- Karen Renaud, Judy van Biljon, Tobie van Dyk. Knowledge Visualisation in Postgraduate Assessment: Is a picture worth a thousand words? College of Science, Engineering & Technology, UNISA. 5-6 September 2013: CSET ODL Conference
- Karen Renaud, Renette Blignaut, Isabella Venter. Designing Mobile Phone Interfaces for Age Diversity in South Africa: "One-World" versus Diverse "Islands" INTERACT 2013. Cape Town, South Africa, September 2013.
- Tobie van Dyk, Helene Gelderblom, Karen Renaud, Judy van Biljon. Mobile Phones for the Elderly. A Design Framework. IDIA 2013. Bangkok, Thailand 1-3 November 2013.
- Paul Cockshott, Karen Renaud and Tsvetelina Valcheva. Democratising Budegtary Decisions with HANDIVOTE. 63rd Political Studies Association Annual International Conference. The Party's Over? 25 - 27 March 2013. City Hall Cardiff
- William Cockshott and Karen Renaud. Information Technology: Gateway to Direct Democracy in China and the World. International Critical Thought. Vol 3, Number 1, March 2013. p76-97
- Paul Cockshott, Karen Renaud, Tsvetelina Valcheva. Putting citizens in charge of the democratic process. CEll phone voting as the technological key to participatory democracy. 4th International Vanguard Science Congress. Mexico City. May 28-31, 2013.
- Karen Renaud and Lewis Mackenzie. SimPass: Quantifying the Impact of Password Behaviours and Policy Directives on an Organisation's Systems. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation. 16 (3) 3. 2013
- Wendy Goucher & Karen Renaud. Leaks by a Thousand Clicks: Examining the Growing Risk of Mobile Working. 12th European Conference on Information Warfare and Security (ECIW) 11-12 July 2013
- Karen Renaud and Wendy Goucher. Monkey See - Monkey Take Photo: The Risk of Mobile Information Leakage. International Journal of Cyber Warfare and Terrorism (IJCWT). Volume 3, Issue 4. 2013. http://www.igi-global.com/article/monkey-see---monkey-take-photo/105191
- Melanie Volkamer, Michaela Kauer, Sinem Emeroz, Karen Renaud. Folk Models of Smartphone Users. Workshop on Usable Privacy & Security for Mobile Devices (U-PriSM) August 27, 2013 Munich, Germany
- Karen Renaud and Joe Maguire. Shrinking the Authentication Footprint. HAISA 2013 Lisbon, Portugal, May 2013
- Heather Crawford, Karen Renaud, Tim Storer. A Framework for Continuous, Transparent Mobile Device Authentication Computers & Security. 39 (2013): 127-136.
- Karen Renaud, Dimitris Kennes, Johan van Niekerk, Joe Maguire. SNIPPET: GENUINE KNOWLEDGE - BASED AUTHENTICATION. ISSA 2013 Information Security South Africa 13th Annual Conference. Johannesburg 14-16 August, 2013.
- Karen Renaud, Peter Mayer, Melanie Volkamer, Joe Maguire. Are Graphical Authentication Mechanisms As Strong As Passwords? Strong Authentication Methods and Systems (SAMAS'13) Associated with the FedCSIS 2013 conference. Krakow, Poland, September 8-11, 2013
- Renaud, K., & Goucher, W. (2012). Email passwords: pushing on a latched door. Computer Fraud & Security, 2012(9), 16-19.
- J Ramsay & K V Renaud. Using insights from email users to inform organisational email management policy. Behavior and Information Technology. Volume 31 Issue 6, June 2012 Pages 587-603
- Helene Muller, Judy van Biljon, Karen Renaud. Information Visualization in Research Reporting: Guidelines for Representing Quantitative Data. SACLA Conference (Southern African Computer Lecturers Association). Thaba Nchu, South Africa. 1-3 July, 2012.
- Tobie van Dyk, Karen Renaud, Judy van Biljon Moses: A Method for Selecting Senior Mobile Phones: Supporting Design & Choice for the Elderly SAICSIT 2012. 1-3 October 2012. Centurion, Tshwane
- Karen Renaud. User Issues in Security. In: Usability in Government Systems: User Experience Design for Citizens and Public Servants. Morgan Kaufmann; 1 edition (June 8, 2012)
- Dianne Murray and Karen Renaud. Privacy and the Citizen. In: Usability in Government Systems: User Experience Design for Citizens and Public Servants. Morgan Kaufmann; 1 edition (June 8, 2012)
- Karen Renaud. Blaming Noncompliance Is Too Convenient. What Really Causes Information Breaches? IEEE Security & Privacy. May 2012.
- Karen Renaud, Wendy Goucher Health Service Employees & Information Security: An Uneasy Partnership? Information Management and Computer Security. 20.4 (2012): 296-311.
- Tim Storer, William Bradley Glisson, Karen Renaud. Patterns of Information Security Postures in Large Scale Socio-Technical Systems. The First International Workshop on Cyberpatterns Unifying Design Patterns with Security, Attack and Forensic Patterns 9-10 July 2012, Abingdon, Oxfordshire , UK
- Mihai Ordean & Karen Renaud. Catch me if you can: Using Self-Camouflaging Images to Strengthen Graphical Passwords. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computer Communication and Processing. August 30 - September 1, 2012 in Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
- Karen Renaud & Joe Maguire. You Only Live Twice or The Years We Wasted Caring about Shoulder-Surfing. Alt-HCI. HCI 2012. Birmingham, UK. 12th -14th September
- Wendy Goucher & Karen Renaud. In A world of their own: Working on the Move. HCI 2011. Newcastle, UK. July, 2011
- K Renaud & R Simpson. WHO is the Enemy? Interfaces. Quarterly Magazine of the BCS Interaction Group. Spring 2011
- Al-Shuaily, H., & Renaud, K. (2010). SQL Patterns: A New Approach for Teaching SQL. In 8th HEA Workshop on Teaching, Learning and Assessment of Databases, Abertay-Dundee (pp. 29-40).
- Renaud, K., & van Biljon, J. (2010). Worth-centred mobile phone design for older users. Universal Access in the Information Society, 9(4), 387-403.
- Karen Renaud and Paul Cockshott. Extending Handivote to Handle Digital Economic Decisions. BCS 2010 Visions conference . 13-16 April 2010, Edinburgh University
- Karen Renaud & Paul Cockshott. Handivote: Checks, Balances and Voiding Options. International Journal of Electronic Governance (IJEG). 3(3):273-295, 2010
- Karen Renaud and Dora Galvez-Cruz. Privacy: Aspects, Definitions and a Multi-Faceted Privacy Approach. ISSA 2010. Johannesburg, South Africa. 2-4 August, 2010.
- Marcia Gibson, Marc Conrad, Carsten Maple, Karen Renaud. Accessible and Secure? Design Constraints on Image and Sound Based Passwords. Conference on Information Society (i-Society 2010) June 28-30, 2010. London, UK
- Karen Renaud and Mike Just. Examining User Responses to Association-Based Authentication. HCI 2010. University of Abertay, Dundee. 6-10 Sept, 2010
- Mohamed Al Fairuz and Karen Renaud. Multi-Channel, Multi-level Authentication for More Secure eBanking. ISSA 2010. Johannesburg, South Africa. 2-4 August, 2010.
- Karen Renaud & T McBryan. How Viable are Stubblefield and Simon's Inkblots as Password Cues?. PUMP 2010. University of Abertay, Dundee. 6 Sept, 2010
- K Renaud & H Crawford. Invisible, Passive, Continuous and Multimodal Authentication. Workshop on Mobile Social Signal Processing. 7 Sept 2010. Lisbon. Published by LNCS
- T K Chiew and K Renaud. A Component-Based Reverse Engineering Approach: Decomposing Web Pages to Facilitate Maintenance and Reusability. IASK International Conference "E-Activity and Leading Technologies 2009
- Judy van Biljon, Karen Renaud, 2009. Distance Education as enabler in crossing the digital divide: Will the Phoenix Fly? IDIA2009 Development Informatics Conference, 28-30 October 2009, Kruger National Park, South Africa
- Karen Renaud and Judy van Biljon. Worth-Driven Mobile Phone Design for Older Users. Universal Access in the Information Society(UAIS). 2009
- Judy van Biljon and Karen Renaud. A Qualitative Study of the Applicability of Technology Acceptance Models to Senior Mobile Phone Users. Handbook of Research on Multimodal Human Computer Interaction and Pervasive Services. 2009
- Karen Renaud. Guidelines for Designing Graphical Authentication Interfaces. International Journal of Computer Security (IJICS). vol 3. number 1, 2009
- Karen Renaud and Paul Cockshott. HandiVote: Simple, Anonymous, and Auditable Electronic Voting. Journal of Information Technology & Politics. 2009 Volume 6, Issue 1 January, pages 60 - 80
- Karen Renaud and Antonella De Angeli. Visual Passwords: Cure-All or Snake-Oil? CACM. Dec 2009
- K Renaud and J Maguire. Armchair Authentication. HCI 2009. Cambridge, UK.
- Ron Poet and Karen Renaud. A mechanism for Filtering Distractors for Doodle Passwords. International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI). 23(5) 2009 p1005-1029.
- M Gibson, K Renaud, M Conrad. Authenticating me softly with "my" song. NSPW 2009. September 8-11, 2009. Pages: 85-100 The Queen's College University of Oxford, UK
- K Renaud. On User Involvement in Production of Images used in Visual Authentication. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing. 10 (2009) p1-15.
- K Renaud. Guidelines for designing graphical authentication mechanism interfaces. International Journal of Information and Computer Security. 3(1)
- K Renaud. Web Authentication using Mikon Images. World Congress on Privacy, Security, Trust and the Management of e-Business. August 25 - 27, 2009 Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
- Ron Poet and Karen Renaud. 2009. An Algorithm for Automatically Choosing Distractors for Recognition Based Authentication using Minimal Image Types. The Ergonomics Open Journal. Special issue: Advances in interfaces
- Ramsay, J., Renaud, K., Hair, M., & Saddique, S. (2008). Having it all: how students combine traditional and digitally mediated communication.
- Renaud, K., McBryan, T., & Siebert, P. (2008). Password cueing with cue (ink) blots. IADIS Computer Graphics and Visualization, 74-81.
- Judith Ramsay, Karen Renaud, Mario Hair and Samina Saddique . Having It All: How Students Combine Traditional and Digitally Mediated Communication. IADIS Web Based Communities 2008 (WBC 2008) Conference. Amsterdam, The Netherlands 24 - 26 July 2008
- Judith Ramsay, Karen Renaud and Mario Hair. Think Before You Link: Controlling Ubiquitous Availability. Interactions. Nov/Dec 2008.
- P Kotze, K Renaud and J van Biljon. Don't do this. Pitfalls in using anti-patterns in teaching human computer interaction principles. Computers & Education. 50, 3 (Apr. 2008)
- J van Biljon and K Renaud. A Qualitative Study of the Applicability of Technology Acceptance Models to Senior Mobile Phone Users. International Workshop on Modeling Mobile Applications and Services (M2AS?08) Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. 20 - 23 October 2008. LNCS Volume 5232/2008 p228-237
- Karen Renaud and Judy van Biljon. Predicting Technology Acceptance by the Elderly: A Qualitative study. Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists. 2008. Wilderness, South Africa. 6 - 8 October 2008
- Karen Renaud and Judy van Biljon. Predicting Technology Acceptance by the Elderly: A Qualitative study. Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists. 2008. Wilderness, South Africa. 6 - 8 October 2008
- Paula Kotze, Judy van Biljon and Karen Renaud. Mobile Phone Usage of Young Adults. 2008. Proceedings of the Conference of the Computer-Human Interaction Special Interest Group (CHISIG) of Australia on Computer-Human Interaction Cairns, Australia, 8-12 December, 2008. p57-64
- K Renaud, A McBryan and P Siebert. Password Cueing with Cue(ink)Blots. IADIS Computer Graphics and Visualization 2008 (CGV 2008) Conference. 24 - 26 July 2008 Amsterdam. The Netherlands. p74--81
- Galvez-Cruz, D., & Renaud, K. (2007, July). You Know My'Alter-Ego'--but You Don't Know Me!. In Databases, 2007. BNCOD'07. 24th British National Conference on (pp. 101-109). IEEE.
- Renaud, K., & Ramsay, J. (2007). Now what was that password again? A more flexible way of identifying and authenticating our seniors. Behaviour & Information Technology, 26(4), 309-322.
- P Kotze and K Renaud. Do We Practise What We Preach in Formulating Our Design and Development Methods? "Engineering Interactive Systems 2007 (EIS 2007). Published in LNCS 4940 ", March 22-24, 2007, Salamanca, Spain
- K Renaud, T Cockshott and M Hair. Everyone Abandons - Eventually: Understanding the Online Shopping Experience. 11th IEEE Conference on Commerce and Enterprise Computing. 20-23 July. Vienna, Austria.
- K V Renaud, J Ramsay and M Hair You've got email. Shall I deal with it now? IJHCI. 21(3) Jan 1, 2007.
- M Hair, J Ramsay and K Renaud. Ubiquitous Connectivity & Work-Related Stress, 2008. Handbook of Research on Virtual Workplaces and the New Nature of Business Practices. Edited by Pavel Zemliansky and Kirk St.Amant. Medical Information Science Reference
- M Hair, K Renaud and J Ramsay. The Influence of Self-Esteem and Locus of Control on Perceived Email-Related Stress. Computers in Human Behavior. 23 (2007) 2791-2803
- K Renaud and P Cockshott. Electronic Plebiscites. METTEG 2007 1st International Conference on Methodologies, Technologies and Tools enabling e-Government Camerino (Italy), 27-28 September 2007
- M Al Awadi and K Renaud. uccess Factors in Information Security Implementation in Organisations IADIS International Conference e-Society 2007. Lisbon, Portugal. 3-6 July 2007
- Karen Renaud. A Process for Supporting Risk-Aware Web Authentication Mechanism Choice Reliability Engineering and System Safety. Special Edition. 2007. 92 (9), pp. 1204-1217
- Elin Olsen and Karen Renaud. DynaHand: Observation-Resistant Recognition-Based Web Authentication IEEE Technology and Society. Special Issue on Usable Security and Privacy. 26(2):22-31 (2007)
- K Renaud, R Cooper and M Al Fairuz Support Architecture for Multi-Channel, Multi-Factor Authentication e-commerce 2007 IADIS International Conference e-commerce 2007 Algarve, Portugal, 7-9 December 2007
- Brinkman, W. P., Gray, P., & Renaud, K. (2006). Computer-Assisted Recording, Pre-Processing and Analysis of User Interaction Data. In Proc. HCI (Vol. 2006, pp. 273-275).
- Galvez-Cruz, D., & Renaud, K. (2006). Privacy by agreement. IADIS E-commerce, 338-341.
- Nosseir, A., Connor, R., & Renaud, K. (2006, November). Question-based group authentication. In Proceedings of the 18th Australia conference on Computer-Human Interaction: Design: Activities, Artefacts and Environments (pp. 277-283). ACM.
- Galvez-Cruz, D., & Renaud, K. V. (2006, October). What e-grocery customers really want: Personalised personalisation. In Web Congress, 2006. LA-Web'06. Fourth Latin American (pp. 109-112). IEEE.
- Renaud, K. (2006). A visuo-biometric authentication mechanism for older users. In People and Computers XIX—The Bigger Picture (pp. 167-182). Springer London.
- Kotze, P, Renaud K, Koukouletsos k, Khazaei B and Dearden A. 2006. Patterns, Anti-Patterns and Guidelines - Effective Aids to Teaching HCI Principles?in: Inventivity: Teaching theory, design and innovation in HCI - Proceedings of HCIEd2006-1 (First Joint BCS / IFIP WG 13.1 / ICS / EU CONVIVIO HCI Educators' Workshop, edited by E T Hvannberg, J C Read, L Bannon, P Kotze, W Wong, University of Limerick, ISBN: 1874653917, pages 115 - 120.
- Karen Renaud. Authentication - the Final Frontier. IST-Africa 2006 Conference. 03 - 05 May 2006, CSIR International Convention Centre, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Chiew, T. K., & Renaud, K. (2005). Disassembling Web Site Response Time. Proc. Twelfth ECITE, Turku, Finland, 137-146.
- De Angeli, A., Coventry, L., Johnson, G., Renaud, K. 2005 . Is a picture really worth a thousand words? On the feasibility of graphical authentication systems. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, special issue: HCI research on Privacy and Security. Volume 63, Issue 1-2 (July 2005). Pages: 128 - 152
- Karen Renaud. Evaluating Authentication Mechanisms. in Security and Usability. Designing Secure Systems that People Can Use Editors: Lorrie Cranor, Simson Garfinkel First Edition August 2005 (est.) ISBN: 0-596-00827-9
- Karen Renaud, Judith Bishop, Johnny Lo and Basil Worrall. Algon: from interchangeable distributed algorithms to interchangeable middleware. . SC 2004 Software Composition Saturday, April 3, 2004
- Karen Renaud and Phil Gray. Making Sense of Low-Level Usage Data to Understand User Activities. Stellenbosch, South Africa. 4-6 October.
- Judy van Biljon, Paula Kotze, Karen Renaud, Marilyn McGee and Ahmad Seffah. The Use of Anti-Patterns in Human-Computer Interaction - Wise or Ill-Advised? SAICS 2004. Stellenbosch, South Africa. 4-6 October.
- Karen Renaud and Judy van Biljon. Teaching SQL - Which Pedagogical Horse for this Course? TLAD Workshop, July 2004. In Proceedings 21st British National Conference on Databases, BNCOD. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol 3112. pp244-256.
- Karen Renaud. My password is here! An investigation into Visuo-Spatial Authentication Mechanisms. Interacting with Computers. 16(6):1017-1041. 2004
- Karen Renaud. Visuo-Biometric Authentication Mechanism for Older Users. Proc British HCI. September 2005. Edinburgh, Scotland. p167-182.
- Karen Renaud. Quantifying the Quality of Web Authentication Mechanisms. A Usability Perspective. Journal of Web Engineering. 3(2) 2004 p95-123
- Karen Renaud, Johnny Lo, Judith Bishop, Pieter van Zyl& Basil Worrall. Algon: A Framework for Supporting Comparison of Distributed Algorithm Performance. 11th Euromicro Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing, Genova, Italy, 5-7 February 2003, pp. 425-432. ISBN 9780769518756 (doi:10.1109/EMPDP.2003.1183620) February,
- Judy van Biljon and Karen Renaud. Zazu - Investigating the Differences between Interaction Approaches in Advisory Support Systems for Curriculum Planning. Short Paper. INTERACT 2003. Zurich, Switzerland. Sept 2003.
- Judy van Biljon & Karen Renaud. Bringing the User Into the Design Process - Incorporating User Context into HCI Pattern. Poster. HCI 2003. 17th Annual Human Computer Interaction Conference. Designing for Society. Bath, England. 8-12 Sept, 2003.
- Jim Liddell, Karen Renaud and Antonella De Angeli. Using a Combination of Sound and Images to Authenticate Web Users. Short Paper. HCI 2003. 17th Annual Human Computer Interaction Conference. Designing for Society. Bath, England. 8-12 Sept, 2003.
- Van Dyk, T., & Renaud, K. (2002). Task Analysis for E-Commerce and the Web. The Handbook of Task Analysis for Human-Computer Interaction.
- Bishop, J., Renaud, K., & Worrall, B. (2002). Composition of distributed software with Algon—concepts and possibilities. Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, 65(4), 56-67.
- Judy van Biljon, Karen Renaud & Estelle de Kock. Zazu - Investigating the Differences between Experts and Novices in Using an Advisory Support Tool. Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists. Pretoria, South Africa. 16-18 September 2002
- Karen Renaud. Experience with statically-generated proxies for facilitating Java runtime specialisation. IEE Proc Software. Vol 149. No 6, Dec 2002
- Karen Renaud. Huw Evans, Renaud, Karen, and Huw Evans. JavaCloak—Considering the Limitations of Proxies for Facilitating Java Reflection. SAICSIT 2001. Pretoria. Sept
- Renaud, K. (2000). HERCULE: monitoring component-based application activity and enabling post-implementation tailoring of feedback. In Software Engineering for Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2000. Proceedings. International Symposium on (pp. 180-187). IEEE.
- Renaud, K., Barrow, J., & le Roux, P. (2001). A strategy for Teaching Programming from a Distance.
- Renaud, K., & Evans, H. (2001). JavaCloak: Reflecting on Java typing for class reuse using proxies. In Metalevel Architectures and Separation of Crosscutting Concerns (pp. 278-279). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Renaud, K., & Van Dyk, T. (2001). Tailoring e-commerce sites to ease recovery after disruptions. In Computer Software and Applications Conference, 2001. COMPSAC 2001. 25th Annual International (pp. 603-608). IEEE.
2000 and Before
- Karen Renaud. HERCULE: Monitoring Component-Based Application Activity and Enabling Post-Implementation Tailoring of Feedback. PDSE 2000. Limerick, Dublin, June
- Karen Renaud, Richard Cooper. Feedback in Human-Computer Interaction — Characteristics and Recommendations. SAICSIT 2000. Cape Town, South Africa
- Renaud, K. (2000). HERCULE: Non-invasively Tracking Java™ Component-Based Application Activity. In ECOOP 2000—Object-Oriented Programming (pp. 447-471). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Renaud, K., & Evans, H. (2000). Engineering Java™ Proxy Objects using Reflection. In Proceedings of the NET. OBJECTDAYS.
- Renaud, K. (2000). Expediting rapid recovery from interruptions by providing a visualization of application activity. In Proceedings of OZCHI (pp. 348-355).
- Karen Renaud and Richard Cooper. HERCULE: A Framework for Enhancing Error Reporting in Component-Based Systems. EDOC 1999. Mannheim, Germany
- Karen Renaud, Richard Cooper. An Error Reporting and Feedback Component for Component-Based Transaction Processing Systems. UIDIS 1999.
- Karen Renaud, Paula Kotze. The Recovery Problem in Multidatabase Systems - Characteristics and Solutions. South African Computing Journal
- Karen Renaud and Paula Kotze. An Integrated Classification of Multiple Database Systems. South African Computing Journal. p32-39